A thorough guide to the essentials of the Vampire!
I spent Halloween talking to people about vampires. I had a great time, and I hope I was informative and entertaining. Below are the notes I used, which I thought might make an interesting blog post.
THE VAMPYRE (1819)
– DR. JOHN POLIDORI
- WRITTEN DURING “YEAR WITHOUT A SUMMER” ALONG WITH “FRANKENSTEIN.”
- FIRST VAMPIRE STORY IN ENGLISH.
- IMMENSELY POPULAR UPON PUBLICATION, THOUGH INITIALLY ATTRIBUTED TO LORD BYRON.
- LORD RUTHVEN (PRONOUNCED “RIVEN”) IS THE ORIGINAL ARISTORCRATIC, SEDUCTIVE VAMPIRE.
- RUTHVEN HAS NO PROBLEM PASSING AS HUMAN, NO ISSUES WITH SUNLIGHT, AND NONE OF THE “TRADITIONAL” WEAKNESSES OR POWERS.
- ADAPTED FOR THEATER NUMEROUS TIMES.
VARNEY THE VAMPIRE,
OR THE FEAST OF BLOOD (1847)
– MALCOLM JAMES RYMER
- RYMER ALSO CO-AUTHOR OF “THE STRING OF PEARLS” WHICH INTRODUCED SWEENY TODD.
- ORIGINATOR OF SEVERAL POPULAR TROPES: VARNEY HAS FANGS, ENTERS THROUGH WINDOW TO ASSAULT…
View original post 686 more words
Leave a comment
No comments yet.